Before I launch into my review of the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper (below), I want everyone to know that Wahl is hosting their annual Dirty Dog Contest in partnership with Petfinder Foundation for the month of October, 2013.
In honor of National Dog Adoption Month, Wahl and Petfinder Foundation are encouraging dog owners to help "do the dirty work" needed to clean out America's dog shelters.
- Beginning October 1, 2013 and running until October 31, 2013, Wahl and Petfinder are looking for America’s dirtiest dogs. Owners can participate by submitting a picture of their dirty dog and a story to the Wahl Home Facebook page.
- Submissions will be reviewed by Petfinder Foundation and Wahl. The top 25 entries will qualify into the second round. Fans can then vote for their favorites November 5-19.
- Entrants will be in the running to become one of three people to win a year's supply of pet grooming products along with a monetary donation to the shelter of their choice.
- Prizes include:
- Grand Prize: $5,000 to the shelter or rescue organization of their choosing, year supply of Wahl grooming supplies, and a gift card.
- Two Second Prizes: $1,000 to the shelter or rescue organization of their choosing, Wahl grooming supplies, and a gift card.
Here are some other blog posts about the campaign as well:
Now, on to the clipper review!
I've always been terrified to groom my dogs beyond simple brushing for fear of repeating the one time I tried to groom my first dog, Pepper, a Miniature Schnauzer, which resulted in him looking like he had a skin disease. I tossed the clippers and left the grooming to my groomer.
Fast forward a few years and the gain of another two Schnauzers, a Poodle, and a Schnoodle-mutt, and I've acquired a yearly grooming bill that could afford me a fifteen day transatlantic cruise with ports all over Europe. I decided to give grooming another try, which makes smart sense in this economy, and as a bonus, the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper is made in the USA.
Wahl provided me with two sets of clippers, their corded version and their Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper (which is cordless and rechargeable). After reading the instructions on how to care for the clipper--oil the clipper blades with the included oil and clean them each time you groom--I started clipping.
This time, I found grooming to be far easier than my first debacle years ago. I gained some confidence using the corded clipper, but really hit my stride using the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper. The difference between the products is significant.
The cordless Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper cuts through fur like a blade through butter--it even cuts through small mats. The cordless version is much smoother to use than the corded version, and you can also take it anywhere without worrying about cord length. Also, the corded version gets quite hot after a while, but the Lithium Ion version does not become as hot.
The Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper is also quieter than the corded version. I honestly thought this review was going to go the other way, favoring the corded version, but there's no contest, the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper wins, paws down.
The clipper comes with four guide combs, which brings me to the single item on my "wish list" for this clipper: I wish there were two longer guide combs, because the longest in this set cuts to half an inch, which is a little shorter than I'd want for my Poodle's head and leg poufs. Fortunately, the guide combs for my corded version will fit the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper, and you can also buy sets of guide combs (or singles) online.
The secret to grooming is to move the clipper fairly rapidly through the fur. Also, the fur must be clean and tangle free--the grooming kit comes with a comb and a scissor for mats and fine tuning the face and paws as well.
Here are Pearl's "Before & After" grooming photos, taken just a few days apart. Yes, I did her grooming myself with the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper!:
Speaking of Poodles . . . were we speaking of Poodles? I was in a state of terror (OK, not quite terror, but deep apprehension) about clipping my Poodle, Jasmine. Poodles have such a specific trim, and I was afraid I'd "ruin" her. Good news--she turned out fine, cute even, after grooming. Trimming the feet takes some practice, but I'm getting the hang of it.
Here are Jasmine's "Before & After" grooming photos. Her head is less poufy than I'd like, so I'll use a longer guide comb next time:
I give the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper a huge paws up! I really like this product, as well as the new Wahl Waterless No-Rinse Shampoo, that I reviewed not long ago. If you've been thinking about trying to groom your dog, these are the clippers you'll want to take the plunge with, and if you want to upgrade, look no further. These clippers are saving me many hundreds of dollars each year, and though I really like my groomer, I think I'll opt for that cruise instead.
FROM THE WAHL WEBSITE:
Powered by lithium ion technology, the Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper outperforms standard Wahl rechargeable clippers by providing up to two times the run time, clocking in at one hour and forty minutes on a full charge. This eliminates the need for frequent recharging, and provides uncompromised cutting while clipping your dog. It also provides: •3X more power then Wahl's Basic Pet Clipper. •Wahl's Lithium Ion blades are designed for no snag - no pull. •15 minute quick charge for over 8 minutes of use. (# 9766)
- Styling Comb
- English / Spanish Instructions
- Cleaning Brush
- Blade Oil
- Self-Sharping High-Carbon Steel Blades
- Hard Storage Case with Handle
- Clipper Guide Combs:
- No. 2 - 1/4" (6mm) Purple
- No. 1 - 1/8" (3mm) Red
- No. 3 - 3/8" (10mm) Dk. Blue
- No. 4 - 1/2" (13mm) Orange
- Power Source:
ABOUT WAHL CLIPPER CORPORATION:
- Wahl offers a complete line of pet products that can help clean up your dog in the aftermath of mud puddles, dirt and tangles.
- Wahl’s latest grooming products include an All-Natural Pet Shampoos, Doggie Deodorant, Odor Neutralizer and Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series Pet Clipper.
- For product availability and grooming tips visit www.wahlpet.com.